Holy crap! I gained 50 followers overnight and had several hundred notes waiting for me when I got home. I don’t know what happened but awesome!!
People always want the truth and no bullshit when they’re buying into something so here’s a 100% factual, 100% sourced master-post dedicated to converting you to veganism.
Veganism Is Natural
- Humans Are Biologically Herbivores (An Informative Chart)
- Our ancestors may have eaten meat, but more often than not, they were scavengers. (Binford, Louis. R. (1986) Human ancestors: Changing views of their behavior. Journal of Anthropological Archaeology 3:235-257.)
- In Paleolithic (ie. hunter-gatherer times), the archaeological consensus is that most of us would have eaten large, hunted game very seldom, and had a subsistence diet of vegetable materials for the remainder of the time. Hunting is energy-intensive, risky, and not a dependable source of energy.
- Research presented in a 2011 issue of Proceedings of the National Academy of Science shows that even Neanderthals ate a variety of plant foods; starch grains have been found on the teeth of their skeletons everywhere from the warm eastern Mediterranean to chilly northwestern Europe. It appears they even cooked, and otherwise prepared, plant foods to make them more digestible—44,000 years ago.
- Humans are facultative omnivores, meaning we CAN eat meat, but do better without it. Adapting to eating meat got us through the last ice age and the habit stuck. We are now in a place and time where we can forego this vestigial, harmful practice.
- Saying we’re omnivores because we’re capable of eating meat is just silly. We’re capable of eating cardboard, too. And by the “capable” argument, then cats are omnivores too, since nearly every commercial cat food has plant ingredients.
- Our so-called “canine teeth” are “canine” in name only.
- Among animals, plant-eaters have the longest lifespans, and humans are certainly in that category (and yes, this was true even before modern medicine).
- We sleep about the same amount of time as other herbivores, and less than carnivores and true omnivores.
- The most common cause of choking deaths is eating meat. Real carnivores and omnivores don’t have that problem.
- READ THIS ENTIRE THING.
Animal Product Industries Are Literally Killing The Planet & Its People
- 40% of global marine catch is by-catch (basically we are throwing back enormous amounts of unusable species into the sea, dead and wasted)
- An estimated 300,000 whales, dolphins and porpoises die in fishing nets every year.
- Overgrazing is blamed for 35% of soil degradation, deforestation for 30%, and agriculture for 27%. These main causes are directly or indirectly related to the consumption of animal products.
- Studies indicate that a varied vegan diet requires about a third of the land needed for conventional Western diets. We do not have enough land to feed everyone on an animal-based diet.
- The livestock sector is a major player, responsible for 18% of greenhouse gas emissions measured in CO2 equivalent. This is a higher share than transport.
- Animal product consumption is causing deforestation: there are undiscovered plants and other things in these areas that could help with medicine, not to mention that rain forests and other land contributes to 20% or so of the Earth’s oxygen.
- 60% of deforestation is related to animal agriculture
- For every 4 lbs of retail fish caught, 1 lb of other fish dies.
- It has been predicted that all the world’s fisheries will collapse in 2048 unless something is done to stop it.
- It is estimated that over-fishing threatens the food security of about 200 million people.
- The Lives of Slaughterhouse Workers: they are usually on shitty contracts, are usually poor and people of color (PoC), how they don’t have basic working rights, and how often times they are undocumented, so they can’t go for help.
- Big, rich, Western, white countries go into other countries: usually (again) poor, underprivileged, native areas that are (again) usually inhabited by PoC. This takes land away from the people in that region or country and gives it to a) the livestock and/or b) the crops raised for that livestock.
- Even in the west, people who live near slaughter farms have shitty water, shitty soil, shitty air, and they get really really sick.
- They’re also more likely to be poverty stricken.
- Animal Agriculture Sickens Everyone
- Nestle Milk Chocolate Products Brought To You By Child Slavery
- Antibiotic use in meat production has been linked to the rise in ‘super bugs’, which are antibiotic-resistant bacteria, found in a lot of meats available in supermarkets. These maladies can kill people.
- In 2004/5 there were 2270 injury claims made in the meat processing industry, most of which were due to falls, injuries with knives and ‘body stressing’.
- People working in tanneries to make leather from the skin of animals that have been killed are exposed to numerous dangerous chemicals (chromium being the worst). The chemicals can cause cancer, skin diseases, respiratory illnesses while the machinery is also dangerous and can result in amputations. In India, people have died due to the exposure to these chemicals, due to unsafe working conditions. People have also died in Bangladesh and are affected by the chemicals in a multitude of ways. These chemicals can also leach into the water supply and affect the air and soil quality, which in turn causes illnesses and diseases in nearby populations.
- "Vegan is the future, out of necessity," and the UN agrees.
Eating Vegan Is Efficient, Both Costly & Environmentally (Alternatively: Why Meat ISN’T Efficient)
- Here is a prison that went vegetarian solely because of it being cheaper.
- Here is a prison in California where half the inmates were served vegan food. That half had remarkably lower incidences of violence and much better fellowship (which goes to show you that there is more to this issue than just dollars and cents).
- You Could Feed Hundreds of People with What It Takes To Raise 200 Kilos of Boneless Beef
- An acre of land can produce 40,000 pounds of potatoes, 50,000 pounds of tomatoes, but only 250 pounds of beef.
- Environmental Impact of a Vegan vs. Conventional Diets (PDF file)
- Meat subsidies strip other food industries to the bone
- 4 million people on this planet live on an almost exclusively vegan diet due to poverty.
- If Britain went vegetarian, less than half the farm land would be needed; vegan, less than a quarter.
- The less people eating meat, the cheaper produce gets for everyone.
- Junk Food Costs More Than Healthy Foods
- We currently produce enough food to feed the world, but feed it to animals we later kill instead.
- Studies confirm increasing population must abandon meat by 2050.
Meat, Dairy, Etc. Is Bad For You
- Pink Slime, which makes up 25% or more of your beef
- How It’s Made: Hot Dogs
- Low or no meat consumption also decreases your risk of mortality from degenerative disease, and increases your life expectancy.
- Most of us in the West live in excess of what we need, to the detriment of our own health.
- 90% of Meat Samples Contain Fecal Bacteria
- Meat and Cheese Consumption Linked to Earlier Death
- Risks: More Red Meat, More Mortality (another source)
- 5 good reasons cutting meat can improve your life
- Hormone Growth Promoters Fed to Beef Cattle Linked to Adverse Impacts on Male Sexual Development
- Eggs are not healthy, nutritious, or safe, according to USDA.
Consuming Animal Products is Cruel
- There’s No Such Thing As Humane Animal Farming
- Inside A Slaughterhouse (content warning for animal cruelty and animal death)
- Over 30 MILLION male chicks are mutilated and ground up alive each year in ONE FACILITY ALONE — only because they can’t lay eggs.
- The Truth Behind The Dairy Industry (content warning for extreme animal cruelty and death)
- Free Range Myth (basically, they have maybe 30 feet to roam around in instead of five)
- Why Honey Isn’t Vegan (another source)
- New horrific images in a decisive year for the fur industry
Why You Should Stop Supporting Zoos and Circuses
- Ten Facts About Zoos You Don’t Want To Know
- 11 Facts about Circus Animal Abuse
- Animals in Entertainment: Circuses
- Ringling Bros. Infographic
- "We need to abolish all zoos," says Britain’s most famous zoo owner Damian Aspinall.
Why Animal Testing Is Inhumane (Alternatively: Animal Sentience)
- In a Move Surprising No One, Animals Feel Emotions
- Rats feel empathy (so much so that they will selflessly give up their own food - chocolate chips, no less - to a rat having a bad day who didn’t get any.) And we still subject them to brutal testing.
- Animal experimentation: cruel and unnecessary (more, more)
- Animal Testing Investigation - Imperial London, England, UK
- 10 Amazing Facts About Animal Sentience
- Coldblooded Does Not Mean Stupid
You Don’t Have To Give Up Good Food
- There are so many vegan recipe blogs, just on Tumblr alone.
- Low-cost Vegan Meal Plans
- 30 Delicious Vegan Meals You Can Make In Under 30 Minutes
- Fork & Beans, creative vegan and gluten-free foods.
- Eat Vegan on $4.00 a Day
- Guide to vegan beers, wines, and liquors.
- Google any recipe with vegan after it, you’ll find something.
More Links: The More You Know
- Natural calcium, iron, and b12 for the vegan diet.
- Pregnancy and the Vegan Diet
- It is entirely possible to be vegan even if you are allergic to soy, gluten, or have oral allergy syndrome. Here’s a great resource to help out anyone suffering from food sensitivities.
- For anyone out there who has anemia, diabetes, or crohn’s disease.
What Do I Do Now?
- Vegankit (simple guide to starting you off on the vegan life)
- Search For Cruelty Free Companies
- This isn’t so much a next step as it is a reward but the Vegetarian Calculator, AKA how many lives have you saved?
Remember that it’s almost impossible for anyone to live 100% vegan in this day and age due to so many factors, but to do your best is the key to health and sustainability. Every act counts.
Feel free to add more links!